Can we dual boot without GRUB?
You must have Grub to dual-boot Ubuntu, but there are some other options that may fit your needs.
How can I prevent Windows from overwriting GRUB when using a dual boot machine?
- Boot from a live CD (CD/DVD or flash drive).
- Become root or use sudo with commands below.
- List the available partitions if needed: fdisk -l.
- Windows will almost certainly exist on /dev/sda1: mount /dev/sda1 /mnt.
- Reinstall GRUB in the MBR: grub-install –root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda.
- Reboot: shutdown -r now.
Can I install Linux without GRUB?
Installing GRUB is the usually the best way to go, whether or not you’re dual-booting, but to install Ubuntu 12.04 without GRUB, download the alternate CD for x86 or AMD64. Run the install as normal, after the Select and install software step, the installer will run Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk .
How do I bypass Windows and GRUB rescue?
- type ls in grub rescue mode to see all directories.
- if you have partitions, try to see which partition is what with ls (directory)
- if you found your linux/ windows partiton, set it as root: set root=(partition)
- then do: set prefix=(partition)/boot/grub.
- now type insmode normal.
Is Grub needed with UEFI?
Unless you plan to dual boot with alternate operating systems (such as Windows), GRUB isn’t mandatory if you’re on a pure UEFI stack. Alternate boot managers such as systemd-boot and even EFISTUB are sufficient for your needs.
Can I boot Ubuntu without grub?
This is the very thing missing in your installation. The Ubuntu you installed is fine, but it cannot be found, the Windows boot loader that is still active won’t display it (complain to MS for that matter). So all we need to do is install grub .
Can Windows Update affect dual boot?
Worst case it might set back that it boots straight to Windows and doesn’t show grub any more, but even that is relatively unlikely. It is my experience that Windows updates may not affect dual boot; reverse the order of dual boot (every time Windows updates, Ubuntu comes up 2nd) or; knock out the dual boot process.
How do I use Windows boot manager instead of grub?
You should change this to GRUB/reFInd as follows:
- On Windows 10, boot into UEFI settings as follows: Open Settings.
- Go to the boot tab of the UEFI settings.
- Move the Linux bootloader (GRUB or reFInd) above the Windows 10 bootloader (instructions to do this are usually at the bottom of the screen)
- Save and reboot.
Can I install Linux without boot loader?
If you decide to install Linux Mint as your second Linux system, you don’t need to install a bootloader because you already have a bootloader from your primary Linux system. But the problem is that by default you cannot install Linux Mint without a bootloader as you can see above.
How do you fix grub on Windows?
How do I fix Windows 10 Grub Rescue errors?
- Clean Install Windows 10.
- Set the correct partition.
- Reset BIOS Settings.
- Use Windows 10 Automatic Repair to restore the Boot Sector Code.
- Rebuild BCD using Windows 10 Automatic Repair.
- Clean Install Windows 10.
- Replace Hard Drive.
How do I remove GRUB loader from BIOS?
Type “rmdir /s OSNAME” command, where OSNAME will be replaced by your OSNAME, to delete the GRUB bootloader from your computer. If prompted press Y. 14. Exit the command prompt and restart the computer the GRUB bootloader is not longer available.
What is EFI booting?
EFI files are UEFI boot loaders and here’s how they work A file with the EFI file extension is an Extensible Firmware Interface file. They are boot loader executables, exist on UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) based computer systems, and contain data on how the boot process should proceed.