What major movies were made in 1939?
Feature Film, Released between 1939-01-01 and 1939-12-31 (Sorted by Popularity Ascending)
- The Wizard of Oz (1939) PG | 102 min | Adventure, Family, Fantasy.
- Gone with the Wind (1939)
- Stagecoach (1939)
- Wuthering Heights (1939)
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)
- The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939)
- The Women (1939)
What were the 2 famous movies made in 1939?
Top-grossing films (U.S.)
|Rank||Title||Box office gross rental|
|1||Gone with the Wind||$18,000,000|
|2||Mr. Smith Goes to Washington||$3,500,000|
|4||Babes in Arms||$2,311,000|
What was the number one movie in 1939?
Gone With the Wind
“Gone With the Wind” was released in 1939. Its domestic gross adjusted for 2019 is $2,971,442,929.
Was 1939 the greatest year for movies?
“It represents Old Hollywood at its best – the studio system, the star system, the way they made movies,” says Thomas S. Hischak, author of 1939: Hollywood’s Greatest Year. “Whatever you liked about movies, it was there. 1939 did it all and did it well.”
What was the top 10 movies in 1939?
The Top 25 Films Of 1939: A Look Back At “The Greatest Year In…
- Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.
- The Wizard of Oz. What is American cinema without Dorothy’s Red Shoes, Toto, Oz, and The Wicked Witch of The West?
- Gone With The Wind.
- Rules of The Game.
- Only Angels Have Wings.
- The Women.
- Young Mr.
Was 1939 a good year?
1939 : It was the greatest year in Hollywood history: 365 films were released and moviegoers were buying tickets at the rate of 80 million a week! Pick a day in the year that was Hollywood’s best and try to imagine the luck of a movie buff with enough dimes to see every great movie released.
What was the best selling movie in 1939?
Top Grossing Movies of 1939
|1||The Wizard of Oz||$12,270,000|
|2||Mr. Smith Goes To Washington||$9,000,000|
|3||Gone with the Wind||$2,471,017|
How much did movie tickets cost in 1939?
The average ticket price in 1939, when Gone with the Wind hit theaters, was 23 cents. My Avatar ticket cost $10.50.
What major event happened in 1939?
The Holocaust took place in the broader context of World War II. On September 1, 1939, Germany invaded Poland. Over the next year, Nazi Germany and its allies conquered much of Europe.
What films won 11 Oscars?
Three films have won 11 Academy Awards:
- Ben-Hur (1959) – 15 categories available for nomination; nominated for 12.
- Titanic (1997) – 17 categories available for nomination; nominated for 14.
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) – 17 categories available for nomination; nominated for 11.
What is the best year for movies?
From classic Hollywood to recent memory, these are the greatest years in movie history.
- 1939 was Hollywood’s Golden Year.
- Nobody’s perfect…
- 1967 stuck it to the man.
- Things got dark in 1974.
- We stayed away from the water in 1975.
- 1976 was talking to all of us.
- 1982 had the best summer ever.
- 1994 was pulpy and perfect.
What was the most popular song in 1939?
Top hits on record
- “An Apple For The Teacher” by Bing Crosby & Connee Boswell.
- “And the Angels Sing” recorded by.
- “At the Woodchopper’s Ball” by Woody Herman.
- “Beer Barrel Polka” by Will Glahe.
- “Begin the Beguine” by Chick Henderson with Joe Loss and his Band (recorded July 5)
- “Body and Soul” – Coleman Hawkins.